This signature did not prepare a fiery chili stew for the 3rd Annual CPH Chili Cook-Off – he tried that, didn´t win, turned around, next obstacle.
And so, first steps were taken into the art of hot sauce-making. Research was done on how, how much, what and why. And the conclusions are as follows for those of you who tried it and liked it. For those of you who did not try it, here is a chance to feel the cozy warmth of Yellow Habaneros, Red Savinas and Etnas.
and here´s a visual of the two beauties…
1 Medium sized onion
5 Yellow Habaneros
2 Tsp Apricot marmalade
8 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt & Pepper
1 Medium sized onion
4 Red Savinas
2 Tsp Apricot Marmalade
8 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt & Pepper
As you can see, this year’s Cook-Off will take place @ Christianshavns Beboerhus (i Salen) — a fantastic and friendly place for those of you who aren’t familiar with this cultural gathering spot — on the 14th of October at high noon. This gives all of us chili gardeners enough time to let our spicy treasures get full grown before we harvest them for this crazy cool contest.
The way it works:
A limited number of cook-contestants (15 or 16) will each bring a pot of chili to the competition by noon on Sunday.
Everyone else will be eligible to taste and judge each pot of chili according to specific criteria (ballot on the way).
Throughout the event, Summersalt Factory will be giving away raffle prizes to random lucky tasters.
Before each person leaves, they will be asked to turn in their chili-tasting ballot.
The winning chili will be announced around 5pm and awarded a special prize!
Everybody gets to participate in this event, either as a cook-contestant or a taster-judge
- Register for the Cook-Off by October 7th and include your 50kr. registration fee. There will only be space for a limited number of cook-contestants (probably 15 or so). The registration fee can be paid by emailing me: kevinkroh (at) gmail (dot) com
- Your pot of chili can be any style you like, with any ingredients you choose, as long as you use fresh or dried chilies! Please write down the name of your chili and the basic recipe (for food allergy considerations)
- There will be a limited number of electric burners to warm all of the pots of chili, so be aware that we need to share and help each other out
- You must make at least 3 Liters of chili, otherwise there won’t be enough for the taster-judges to vote on
- When you pay your 50kr. entry fee at the door you will receive a chili-tasting ballot and a raffle ticket
- At random points during the day raffle prizes will be given away — so hold on to your ticket
- Remember to turn in your ballot before you leave
- Beboerhuset will have Hancock beers flowing on tap for only 25kr. (large-size) to quench your thirst and milk will be available help put out the fires
- And, hey, try to give a small taste of each pot of chili before eating too much
- The ballots will be tallied throughout the day, with the winning chili to be announced around 5pm
There will be some live music, a booth or two where special guests will be selling chili-related products, and lots of movement (bowels or otherwise) all day long.
The event is now posted on Facebook, so feel free to sign up.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
The brilliant beer enthusiast and educational author of the one-and-only PINT DIARIES, Casey Mulligan, gives HopTar Stout a gushingly good review.
Check it out!
Thank you, Mr. Mulligan!
Søren Poulsen and Kevin Kroh take a look at all the homemade goodies from last weekend’s Chili Convention. Enjoy!
CHILI DUDES besøger Christianshavns Beboerhus…
Chili Convention – for chilifans!
Hot Sauce, Salsa, Stews, frø og meget mere chili.
Lørdag d. 24 marts kl. 15 – 20 Gratis adgang.
Kom og få brændt begge ender af, bliv inspireret til, hvordan man bl.a. laver Burning Hot Sauce og Stews med chili. Kendskab til forskellige frøsorter og hvordan de dyrkes og meget mere.
Der er gratis adgang, men ønsker du at få brændt smagsløgene af, er der smagsprøver fra Hells Kitchen på 1 sal, til en billetpris á 30 kr. hvor du så også deltager i lodtrækningen om nogle hotte gaver.
Vores håndbryggeri i kælderen er også åbent og her kan du se, dufte (og måske smage, hvis du tør) øl med chili, som bliver brygget!
Well, friends, it’s been a long time coming.
It was inevitable.
It had to be done.
With inspiration and assistance from family, friends, and foes we’ve finally brewed our first beer, tentatively titled…
– granola simcoe edition
- 5 kg. Maris Otter
- 1 kg. Choco Malt
- 1 kg. Carafa III
- .75 kg. Flaked Oats — honey roasted @ home
- 100 g. Simcoe hops @ 70 min
- 100 g. Simcoe hops @ 20 min
- 100 g. Simcoe hops @ end
- Edinburgh Ale yeast
Trey “Barley Dust” Standley
Stephanie “Irish Moss” Brooks
Anne “Hop Leaf” Kjølby
Kevin “Sparge” Kroh
Jens “Mash Ton” Sonne
Wanna see how we did it?
Check this out to see the crazy preparations we made.
And give a gander at the process by which the beer was made.
Or just skip on ahead to the final product.
Big thanks to everybody who helped make the 2nd annual cook-off a savory success! About 50 people showed up to make sure the 10 delicious stews and two kegs of microbrews were completely devoured. With a half-dozen raffles and four top prize awards, everyone went home a winner. But in another, more accurate way, the following chili stews were the real champs, and it was real close:
4th place: Slim’s slow-cooked Chili Stew
3rd place: Chang’s Mørk Skipper Stew
2nd place: Rune’s Thai Green Goo
1st place: Edu’s Trad.Texas style stew
The mighty Judge Milligan - "My verdict: magically delicious!"
THANKS AGAIN! And we’ll see ya next time.
Who knows…might be a Springtime Cook-Off in the makings, or perhaps next September in Jutland at Bjarne’s farm!
The 2nd Annual Copenhagen Chili Cook-Off is right around the corner
We’re putting the finishing touches on announcing this special event
Check out all the info and details here at the Summersalt Factory
that’s the spicy chile greenhouse in the back left there!
The first small step has been taken in order to fulfill a dream that the Urban Achievers have had for a long while - to construct their own home field. It is, however, not just any home field, it is the first softball/baseball stadium in Denmark with the possibility for a variety of other sports to use the field. Just to mention a few: ultimate frisbee, petangue, lacrosse and more.
Check out the the first sketch of the field below; an architectural homage to the awe-inspiring mini Coors Field (Coca Cola All-Star Park), Denver, CO.